News and Views
Executioner with a British accent beheads US journalist in the name of ISIS
- Photojournalist James Wright Foley has been beheaded by ISIS forces
- He went missing in Syria in 2012 while working for GlobalPost news agency
- ISIS posted extremely graphic video ‘A Message to America’ to social media
- Foley speaks to camera before his death and labels the U.S. his killers
- Apparently coerced by his captors into speaking against his country
- Masked and robed executioner speaks English in apparent London accent
- Video also shows man identified as missing journalist Steven Joel Sotloff
- Militant warns he will be killed next if U.S airstrikes in Iraq do not cease
- British Foreign Secretary today said ‘appalling’ video appeared to be genuine
A shocking video has emerged showing an ISIS militant who speaks with a British accent brutally executing an American photojournalist who was kidnapped in Syria two years ago.
Graphic footage of the execution appeared in an video titled: ‘A Message to the U.S.’, in which an apparently coerced James Wright Foley, 40, describes America as his true killers for using airstrikes to assist Kurdish forces in recapturing the Mosul Dam from ISIS militants.
Foley – who went missing in 2012 while working for the Global Post news agency in Syria – is then beheaded with a small knife over a period of seven minutes by a masked man dressed all in black.
The executioner, who speaks directly to the camera in what appears to be a London accent, then warns that a second captured American journalist will be killed if the U.S. doesn’t halt the airstrikes.
Speaking after the video emerged, Foley’s mother Diane issued a statement saying that she and her husband John have ‘never been prouder’ of their son, who they say gave his life to expose the suffering of the Syrian people.
Foley, has been missing since November 2012, after being taken hostage at gunpoint while reporting from Taftanaz, in northern Syria, for the agency GlobalPost.
ISIS posted the extremely graphic video shot at an unknown location, titled ‘A Message to America’ to social media as proof of their barbaric actions.
In a chilling warning at the end of the grisly film, the executioner, who speaks with what sounds like a British accent, parades another American journalist, Steven Joel Sotloff, who went missing in August 2013, saying: ‘The life of this American citizen, Obama, depends on your next decision.’