News and Views
Germany are World Cup champions after dramatic 1-0 victory over Argentina
- Mario Gotze scores for Germany in extra time, taking his team to a fourth World Cup title
- World Cup final between Germany and Argentina kicked off at 8pm at the Maracana stadium in Rio de Janeiro
- Pre-match closing ceremony featured performances by Shakira and Carlos Santana
- Famous trophy was brought into the stadium by supermodel Gisele Bundchen and 2010 winner Carles Puyol
- Fans also watch the action unfold in fan parks on Copacabana beach, as well as in Berlin and Buenos Aires
- Worldwide audience of up to one billion people expected to tune in for the biggest game in the football calender
- David Beckham in the stands for the match – as his sons sported Argentina shirts
- Sir Mick Jagger, Brazilian football legend Pele, German Chancellor Angela Merkel and Rihanna also watched the game
- Score was 0-0 at the end of first half of extra time, with Gonzalo Higuain’s goal for Argentina ruled offside
Germany’s Mario Gotze scored with a brilliant finish to win the World Cup for Germany tonight, as his team beat Argentina 1-0 in the hotly-contested final.
The Bayern Munich star coolly slotted home to score in the 113th minute, after his team had been battled long into extra time in their bid to take home the famous trophy for the fourth time – the first time as a unified nation.
Midfielder Gotze, 22, came on as a substitute to net the winner, controlling the ball with his chest before volleying it into the Argentine goal, making the Germans the first European team to win the title in South America.
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2690667/Its-big-one-German-Argentine-fans-reach-fever-pitch-teams-prepare-World-Cup-Final.html#ixzz37OE8uEeL