Health, fitness and Food
Omega-3’s & Their Health Benefits for Adults
You may have heard of omega-3’s on television and the internet. I also bet you have mainly heard them associated with baby formula, canned and flaked tuna commercials and/or other kids meals. Though they are mainly present in kids foods, they are also very essential for adult health.
Omega-3 fatty acids are known and linked to healthy aging therefore; you don’t have to be a kid to need them. Omega-3’s are essential for adult’s health concerns.
Sources of Omega 3’s
Omega-3’s cannot be produced by our body. Unlike other components, and nutrients; they can only be obtained from outside sources. Omega-3’s are primarily obtained from marine sources such as fish. Salmon, mackerel and krill are common sources. Nuts like flaxseed and walnuts are also rich in omega-3’s.
Benefits of Omega 3 for Adults
An adequate supply of omega-3 among pregnant mother and children may stimulate learning and may even lessen the childs’ probability of experiencing ADHD. For adults, it has a lot of benefits:
- It supports brain and eye function. You need both as you grow old. You need to have both to stay sharp.
- Strengthens cardiovascular health. Omega-3 is good for the heart. It helps in cardiovascular health and may help you avoid some diseases related to the cardiovascular system.
- Improves memory. As you grow old, memory retention declines. Studies show that a supplement of omega 3 taken from fish or calamari oil may sharpen your memory and keep you alert for most of the day. It also prevents dementia and Alzheimer’s disease.
- Benefits for some other diseases. These include cancer, asthma, depression and arthritis.
- It is anti inflammatory. It has anti-inflammatory components and is very helpful with the reduction of inflammation. A chronic inflammatory condition might be stopped and will not worsen.
- 6. Keeps your arteries healthier.
Some confuse omega-3 with omega-6, but they are different. Both are every beneficial but they have different uses. For example, omega-3 is anti-inflammatory; omega-6 may trigger inflammation.
Once taking omega supplements, always check the labels. You might be taking the wrong one. Fish for omega 3 is good, but a lot of the time they are filled with toxicities because they have long lifespans. Nuts may be a healthier option.
So whether you choose fish, nuts or supplements, you always have options. Choose to be healthy now and you will reap your rewards later.
Author: Roselen is a passionate blogger with an aim of promoting healthy living which is very much aligned to the goal of Health 365 – a website that supports and educates its readers to make an informed decision concerning their health. Source: http://naturalartmaven.com/