News and Views
Outrage as Muslim mayor of Tower Hamlets orders the Palestinian flag to fly over town hall ‘in solidarity with Gaza’
- Lutfur Rahman ordered move ‘in support of a ceasefire and peace’
- Move risks angering Jewish community in the east London borough
- Critics say the council should concentrate on ‘bins and potholes’
- Tory chairman Grant Shapps condemns ’empty, flag-waving gesture politics’
- Follows rows about Palestinian flags at town halls in Bradford and Preston
- David Cameron announces an extra £3million in humanitarian aid for Gaza
- Prime Minister blames Hamas for repeatedly breaking ceasefires with Israel
Tower Hamlets’s Muslim mayor Lutfur Rahman sparked a storm of protest tonight after raising the Palestinian flag over the town hall ‘in solidarity with Gaza’.
Barely 24 hours after it emerged Mr Rahman is to face trial over claims he committed widespread voting fraud, he ordered the flag to fly ‘in support of a ceasefire and peace’.
Jewish leaders condemned the move as ‘destructive’ for community relations as local residents said the council should concentrate on ‘potholes and bins’ and not international conflicts.