Community, Diaspora and Immigration
High hopes for the 3rd Ugandan UK Trade and Investment Forum in London
London, UK —Ugandans living abroad have hosted numerous gatherings in search for ways to have a positive impact on their homeland — both in response to urgent crises and sustainable development.
Still, the collective potential of the diaspora has yet to be realized through a definitive structure. One group is hoping to change that.
Three years ago, the Ugandan UK Convention, headed by Willy Mutenza and supported by UIA, MOFA, Diaspora business community, organized a conference in London, UK, to showcase the business capacity of Ugandans beyond its borders.
The 'Uganda-UK Convention' the 3rd Uganda-UK Trade and Investment Forum, to be held at the Troxy Arena, in London, on 14th September 2013. Aptly set within Canary Wharf – London's financial district, the Uganda-focused event features the highest calibre of speakers selected from across government, business and investment landscape. Now in its third year, the annual forum attracts over 1000 delegates, in what has become the largest Uganda-focused gathering across the UK & Europe.
Highlights of the Convention will include a keynote speech delivered by Hon. Edward Kiwanuka Ssekandi the Vice President of Uganda. Other key representatives of the Ugandan Government speaking at the event will include: Hon. Amelia Kyambadde the Minister for Trade, Industry & Cooperatives; Rt. Hon. Rebecca Alitwala Kadaga the Speaker of the Ugandan Parliament; and HE Professor Joyce Kikafunda the High Commissioner to London.
Confirmed high profile and prominent speakers, who are active in the public or private sector, either in the UK and/or Uganda include:
- Lord Sheikh – House of Lords;
- Mohan Kaul – Chairman Commonwealth Business Council;
- Patrick Bitature – Chairman of Uganda Investment Board;
- Mr. Elly Karuhanga – President of Tullow Uganda and Director of Tullow Uganda;
- Ashish Thakkar – CEO and Founder of Mara Group;
- Eng. Dr. Frank B. Sebbowa, Executive Director – Uganda Investment Authority;
- Mr. Richard Kamajugo – Commissioner for Customs;
- Amb. Agnes Kadama Kalibbala – CEO NHCC;
- Sebaggala M. Kigozi – Executive Director, Uganda manufacturing Authority.
The event, agenda and program for the day are expressly designed to support the country’s efforts to attract foreign direct investment, mark the multitude of merits Uganda presents as a preferred investment destination and paint a candid and contemporary picture of the nation's regulatory, business and investment climate.
In order to gain access to a detailed overview of the planned activities for the day, please follow the link to the programme here (http://www.ugandanconventionuk.org/2013-programme/) Delegates will include industry experts and the most senior institutional investors in Europe. The event is free to attend and offers the opportunity to network with highly distinguished speakers, carefully selected by personal invitation. For further information about this event please contact us via the emails and numbers below.
The purpose of the Forum is to inform the investors and business community in this region of the vast potential for investment that Uganda is offering to both the domestic and international community. Specifically, the forum will:
- Update investors on priority sectors for investment such as agri-processing infrastructure development, energy, tourism and agro-industries
- Provide an opportunity for those who have invested in Uganda to explain the realities of doing business in Uganda
- Dispel some of the concerns that investors may have about investing in new frontiers such as Uganda
We expect over 1000 people to register for the event. The event will be on an invitation-only but free-to-attend basis. Delegates will be drawn from the following groups:
- The institutional investment community;
- The international banking community;
- Diaspora community
- Organisations involved in infrastructure development, including housing and commercial building, construction, urban regeneration, roads and bridges, information and communication technology, water supplies, power generation, transmission and distribution;
- Manufacturing and agribusiness industries, and companies involved in adding value to primary processes;
- Organisations looking to invest into developing hotels and service industries;
- Representatives from key bilateral and multilateral donor agencies.
M: +7780 703 869