William and Kate meet Obama and Hilary Clinton – before bumping into Beyoncé and Jay-Z courtside at basketball game
[justified_image_grid preset=11 ids=”29184,29183,29182,29181,29180,29179,29178,29177,29176,29175,29174,29173,29172,29171,29170,29169,29168,29167,29166,29165,29164,29163,29162,29161,29160,29159,29158,29157,29156,29155,29154,29153,29152,29151,29150,29149,29148,29147,29146,29145,29144″]
- Duke and Duchess of Cambridge were sat courtside for Monday’s Brooklyn Nets vs Cleveland Cavaliers game
- Singer Beyoncé, donning white-and-black shirt and pencil skirt, and Jay-Z were seated directly opposite them
- Power couples were introduced in public view during second half of the Cavaliers’ 110-88 win over the Nets
- Royals later met Cavaliers’ LeBron James who gifted them cupcakes and two jerseys – one for Prince George
- NBA has recently announced partnership with William’s United for Wildlife organisation and a coach program
- Kate donned glamorous grey coat by US designer Tory Burch with jeans; William wore a blue suit and red tie
- She and Mrs Clinton bonded over motherhood, with latter explaining how she used to sing to baby Chelsea
- Wills and Obama joked about the birth of Prince George and discussed the UK and US’s ‘special relationship’
- Couple expected to visit National September 11 Memorial Museum and Memorial Reflection Pools later today
Having met with the President and a possible future president of the United States on the first leg of their American visit, it seemed only fitting that they should finish the day by rubbing shoulders with pop royalty.
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge came face-to-face with Beyoncé and husband Jay-Z at a Brooklyn Nets game in New York last night, capping off a day of firsts for the Royal couple.
Earlier that day, Prince William joked with Barack Obama during his first visit to the White House’s Oval Office, where he held talks with the president before giving a speech at a World Bank anti-corruption conference.
He then flew back to New York to be reunited with his pregnant wife, and together the couple attended a reception at the British Consul General’s residence to recognize the work of The Tusk Trust and other partners of William’s charity United for Wildlife.
During the event, Kate spoke with US Secretary of State – and potential presidential candidate – Hillary Clinton about the benefits of singing to babies and her visit earlier in the day to a children’s center in Harlem.
The royal couple then finished the day in style, rubbing shoulders with U.S. pop royalty at their first NBA game.
As the crowd cheered and took photos, Prince William and Kate – who looked chic in a grey coat by U.S. designer Tory Burch, skinny jeans and black heels – were seen greeting Beyoncé and Jay-Z during the second half of the game against the Cleveland Cavaliers.
They beamed as they exchanged words with the couple, before returning to their courtside seats next to basketball legend, Dikembe Mutombo, where they were handed a box of popcorn and bottles of water. Beyoncé and Jay-Z, meanwhile, sat down in their own seats directly opposite them.
Kensington Place courtiers had previously arranged with NBA officials that the two couples would meet during the third and fourth quarters of the game at the Barclays Center, which also starred basketball royalty: the Cavaliers’ LeBron James, dubbed ‘King James’.
After the Cavaliers trounced the Nets 110-88, the royal couple were led backstage to meet the sport’s biggest superstar. Down in the Vaults, a basement hospitality suite, they were introduced to James, who had brought them a gift-wrapped box of cup cakes from his hometown, Akron, Ohio.
Today, the royal couple are expected to visit the National September 11 Memorial Museum and the Memorial Reflection Pools, before attending The Door in NYC and the CityKids Foundation, to learn about their work on positive youth development and social learning using art.
They will then attend the Creativity is GREAT Reception at NeueHouse, celebrating the British talent in the creative industries of New York, in association with the UK Government’s GREAT campaign, before Wills’s attends another reception at the Empire State Building.